[Fair warning #1] I am making some assumptions about current team balancing mechanics, Also, I do have some solutions down below.
[Fair Warning #2] Ok, Ok, its not always OPFOR. So for the remainder of this we are going to call it [STAKFOR]; on "C4G Malden - No Towers" it is typically INDI that ends up stacked. Groups play at night, and then.. its whomever...
[Fair Warning #3] This may be a temporary constant issue BUT maybe it will have solutions that avoid any [STAKFOR] attempts at any point in the game.
PRIOR TO RESET:
- There were more than enough individuals around with a majority of the unlocked weapons available spread across all teams (another way of putting this is all teams had at least a few 50+ individuals)
- [STAKFOR] still outnumbered other teams in the beginning - but not throughout the entire game - and the amount of AFK fairly even throughout the teams.
- Price point was lower, so repurchasing after death was less of a hit to income.
- [new] Statistically the wins may have leaned towards a specific team, but the other teams still won. (1/4?)
- [new] your team had a chance of making it to 50 for the bonus at the end of the game.
- [new] The game was fun... regardless of what team you were assigned on.
AFTER THE RESET:
- Most veterans are trying to grind back to the levels they had prior to the reset for the items they want/need/etc. (Zafir/Navid/Cyrus/Gillie Suits/etc)
- [new] Items cost more, so this is somewhat rough. (see below)
- The easiest way to do this is to group up on a team. Given history of the game, [STAKFOR] is the likely choice.
- [new] In order to avoid losing money due to death (because items cost more), players instinctively want to be on the better team.
- Now all the veteran and skilled players alike are gravitating towards [STAKFOR] because they are grinding, which also means [STAKFOR] has the *higher* ranking players as well with more unlocks and better weapons available.
- When team balancing comes into effect, the lower scored players for the round are moved to other teams [? is this correct], keeping the higher scored/skilled/levelled team members on [STAKFOR].
- Disenchanted, individuals go AFK, quit, or keep trying to go to [STAKFOR] *throughout* the game, which leads to...
- [STAKFOR] now consistently having 5-10 more players actively playing than the lowest team; The amount of inactive/new/unmotivated players is drastically slanted towards [!STAKFOR] (Ex: Beginning of current match *number of players*: O-29 B-25 I-23 ; 15 minutes later: O=30 B=26 I=22... End games score O=100pts B=5pts I=0pts) ***
[new] I have recently seen a new trend (maybe I was oblivious to it) - The new advice in sidechat is, "DO NOT RESPAWN! get to the AO and if you die wait for a revive no matter how long it takes." This has literally resulted in over 15 more players assigned to a team for a duration of time at start of match. Again, active/vet/attentive players will know whats going on and the rest will be filtered down to other teams.
I'm going to be totally honest... My logic is probably going to follow everyone elses until i get all my unlocks completed - which means constantly trying to join opfor until successful so that i can unlock all my items again. I personally will never make it to $100,000 for the third skill unlock unless I use [STAKFOR]... otherwise its trying to climb up a waterslide. (I miss my Navid etc. and am so tired of others on [STAKFOR] always having it/them)
The argument against breaking up teams/groups/clans/etc that are playing on a KOTH team is invalid. they can anticipate the issue and go to least amount of players. (the specifics? no idea how)
HOW TO FIX THIS:
To be honest, i have no idea for a permanent fix - but several for temporary.
- SALT THE SKILLSET - Split the highest 12-15 ranking individuals to separate teams, and lock them before the round starts.[For the first 5-10 minutes]. You can call it "Start game skill lock for X minutes". since this is unfair, we give a notification when the 'Start Game Skill Lock' is deactivated - and $1,000 for being a good sport about it (if anyone complains," Oh, noes! we bought them a heli/rifle/truck/whatever!.. They were going to do it anyways."
- AVOID TEAMBALANCING 'N00BS'. No Team Balancing the first 10 minutes of the game - afterwards, highest scoring/ranking individuals get team balanced. (sucks but thats life - other teams need the good players). This gets rid of the immediate team balance of the first few who die - which may be due to lack of skill or heli crash.
- MAKE TEAMBALANCING UNPREDICTABLE. [new] MID-GAME team balancing will be an algorithm (rank+points+rand()+mothersage()+secretnumber()/X = choice)
- [new] TEAM LOCK /AVOID CONTINUED STACKING - AFTER XX minutes (15 would coincides with teambalance above) of joining game (at any point - beginning or during) players is *locked* UNLESS the server team balances you (requiring you fully disconnect, give up your spot, and reconnect to switch teams).
- HAVE MERCY ON US. Lower the prices of the weapons/ vehicles / etc. for the next month. Give people a chance to play on other teams and not care about getting killed as much. (because otherwise, why not just spend money on a sure bet like staying alive on [STAKFOR] instead of wasting it on some other team?)
[NOT RELATED but hey why not mention it]:
- [new] Med Truck RE-ARMS infantry w/everything but Launchers - New HVT of sorts... ;-)